[WikiEN-l] Admin burnout

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Feb 12 08:25:02 UTC 2007

geni wrote:

>On 2/9/07, James Forrester wrote:
>

>>Fully agreed. It seemed to work with many, including me (well, I'll
>>leave that judgement to the reader ;-)); the current system seems to
>>be negatively selecting against people who will "be bold" or "ignore
>>all rules", too, which suggests a slow corruption of our community's
>>spirit (note that I do not suggest that this is in any way
>>deliberate).
>>

>Do you blame them? People have seen the amount of damage admins can do
>before being stopped. They know that if the admin is smart enough and
>not unlucky it is highly unlikely they will be stopped.

This approach requires one to assume bad faith

>So what is the rational response to this situation. To elect safe
>admins who you have a fairly good idea how they will act. That means
>electing admins who respect policy and don't like getting into fights.

The present situation, notably with its inquisitorial approach and
stress on certain kind of tasks, tends to favour admins who respect the
letter of policy, and who DO like to get into fights.  The kind of
people who do what they are told and join armies.

Ec