[WikiEN-l] Sanger and CZ

Fred Bauder fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Sun Feb 11 20:24:10 UTC 2007

Looking at law, I guess what Larry would consider an expert would be an academic such as a professor of law. His language regarding qualifications for editor, "editors in more "professional" fields require the usual terminal professional degree in the field plus significant experience and publishing."
http://www.citizendium.org/cfa.html
Some practicing attorneys would qualify, the crew that puts together the continuing legal education, for example. I guess some attorneys do continue to contribute to law journals, especially those who worked on them in school.

Some of these people are wonderful communicators, especially the trial lawyers who are good at addressing juries. Take a look at John Edwards, the presidential candidate. He's good. The people are out there, but most are probably not even aware that the option exists. One thing that is going on is that we, and society, are very new at this. One of Larry's ideas is for every profession and academic discipline to have a collaborative venue for sharing and developing knowledge (I think he is probably just reinventing the university, but that is not such a bad idea). The professions and academic disciplines he is considering are very far from participating in such a system of wikis, but, given a time, a few decades, that may well be part of our common intellectual life. See
http://www.citizendium.org/collab_prof.html

Anyway, I think it is best we treat Larry as a colleague engaged in friendly competition. He's got some good ideas. But so do we.

Fred