[WikiEN-l] Admin burnout

Gurch matthew.britton at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 11 05:08:39 UTC 2007

geni wrote:
> You want to try dealing with vandels who you can't effectively block
> and can hit every page one wikipedia?

When I left, the delay between me hitting the "save" button to post my
de-adminship request on Meta and the sysop bit being removed was about
150 seconds. That included time spent indicating to the steward handling
the request, via IRC, that I really did want to be de-adminned.

So I fail to see where this inability to block comes in. That's a lot
quicker than the response time for the average AIV request, for example.
The stewards know what to do; in an emergency, they would be able to act
just as fast, if not faster.

Bryan Derksen wrote:
 > I can think of an approach right off the top of my head to cause major
 > havoc using my admin powers that I wouldn't be able to undo with any
 > conventional tools.

If the servers were being exceptionally responsive, you might just
manage 40 edits/actions before you were stopped, assuming someone using
IRC noticed your first action (which, if they are intended to have the
effect you suggest, is pretty likely). No matter what those actions are,
they can be reversed, usually quickly. Simply making as many blocks or
deletions as possible would have no lasting effect. Changing the various
MediaWiki pages could do all sorts of things, but such changes can be
reverted like any others (at most, someone would need to disable
JavaScript and select a custom skin in order to do so). About the worst
you could do is try to do history merges on pages with long edit
histories (which are still reversible, just tedious to do), but the
amount of time they take you'd be lucky if you finished *one* in three
minutes. Also, attempting this on a page with a very long history will
likely just return a database timeout error (as does attempting to clear
a very large watchlist, for example), inconveniencing nobody but yourself.

-Gurch