[WikiEN-l] Deleting orphaned unfree images

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 11 01:54:54 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> I'm not sure why we give people so long - they can upload the image
> again if they find a use for it. I would suggest reducing it to 24
> hours (enough to account for images being removed from articles
> without consensus, any longer is unnecessary), but I'm not really
> involved in the image side of things, so I'll leave it to someone
> else.

Images might be orphans due to vanadalism on some other article, and
there's no way to check that directly from the image page itself. If
orphaned fair use images were more rapidly deleted then vandalism on the
low-traffic pages that use them becomes a lot more destructive.

And it's not necessarily that easy to reupload an image. The original
uploader might be long gone from Wikipedia, or he might not have
retained a local copy of it, etc.