[WikiEN-l] Admin burnout

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Sun Feb 11 00:06:47 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:

> It would take a few minutes at the very best to desysop a
> provisional admin that started vandalising - how much damage do you
> think an AdminVandalBot could do in that time? I imagine it would be
> hours normal-admin time to cleanup.

Of course, when making this assessment you are assuming the current
MediaWiki software. Unfortunately, the current software is inefficient
at undoing large amounts of activity. For example, the User
Contributions page should have an "undo all of this user's
contributions" button, especially if it isn't many. At the same time,
this undoing of all contributions should also be undoable with a single
command. There should also be a selective feature, e.g. undo only all
image uploads or undo only the article edits that involve adding an
external link. All of these are non-trivial to code, which is why no-one
has done it yet, but it would make cleaning up after vandalism much more
efficient, even if the vandal is himself an admin.

Timwi