[WikiEN-l] Your comments on wikien-l regarding adminship

Luna lunasantin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 09:23:38 UTC 2007

On 2/9/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> The system we use for editing pages (the one you think should be
> extended to admin powers) results in an enormous amount of vandalism,
> which takes a lot of effort to clean up.

Exactly. It's bad enough when vandals make giant penises float over the main
page. I'd rather not have random vandals blocking /16s, unprotecting [[Main
Page]] (or even deleting it), and creating other public relations nightmares
-- just imagine the media field day. Wikipedia is already an amazingly open
site, in just about every sense -- some people already say we're *too* open,
and while I don't think I'd go that far, I'm not eager to give too many
people access to tools which have the capacity to do a great deal of harm,
when used inappropriately.

When I consider adminship, I don't think of it as a big deal. It's a useful
tool. Admins aren't the heart and soul of the wiki, by any means -- we are
involved in its upkeep, yes, but I know every minute of vandal patrolling I
do would be flat-out *useless* if not for the countless hours spent by our
fantastic writers.

I think I just need evidence that somebody:
(a) is reasonably aware of policy and practice,
(b) is reasonably dedicated to the well-being and ideals of the project, and
(c) is reasonable, period.

How we determine those three points, I figure is up to some interpretation.

Just my take on it,
-Luna