[WikiEN-l] Fluctuating Google result count with Firefox

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 00:48:35 UTC 2007

I know we're all a fan of Googlecounting results. But this is weird:
When I search for a term in Firefox's Google box, the result count is
exactly 200% what it should be.

1. Search for "Wikipedia is great" in the FireFox search box.
2. Mostly (but not always), Google reports 29,600 matches.
3. Repeat the search just by pressing Google's "Search" button.
4. Google reports 14,800 matches.

Strangely, the difference in count seems to correspond to a difference
in layout. The 14,800 count groups related matches by indenting. (The
second match is [[All your base are belong to us]], indented under
[[WIkipedia:Why Wikipedia is so great]].) The 29,600 match shows no
indenting.

FYI, here's the URL I'm using.
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=%22wikipedia+is+great%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Constantly pasting that into FireFox, sometimes I get 29,600,
sometimes I get 14,800. Pasting into IE7 I always get 14,800. Anyone
have an explanation?

Steve