[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia futurology

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 10:10:27 UTC 2007

On 06/02/07, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Though, "Wiki" as a noun meaning Wikipedia? Ugh, ugh, ugh. Surely we can do
> better things than that to the language; people already have a hard time
> differentiated other wikis vs Wikipedia.  "Wiki'd" as a verb is not as bad,
> but 'whipped' (under any spelling) is better.

It's already common usage. Hopefully wikis will become more common in general.

(Common phonecall I get: people who wonder how they could do their own
"Wikipedia" in their company. I have to explain that "wiki" is
generic, the concept is not patented, there's lots of different
software, MediaWiki is really easy and lots of hosting companies offer
it in a cheap hosting package, talk to your IT guy, the *hard* bit is
getting people to want to use it.)

- d.