[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia futurology

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Sun Feb 4 08:12:34 UTC 2007

Sage Ross wrote:
> For your light amusement, my attempt at predicting what Wikipedia will
> be like in 5 years:
>
> http://ragesossscholar.blogspot.com/2007/02/what-will-wikipedia-be-like-5-years.html

So if we call the "necessary" improvements N1-N6, and the "hoped-for"
improvements H1-H3: N2 and N4 have the Foundation's attention and will
probably be done soon. N1 and H2 have had some developer interest.
Probably not enough in the case of N1, due to competition from the
commercial search engines, although limited improvements are likely. N3 is
simple and just needs an interested developer. For N5 and N6 there's
Semantic MediaWiki, which has a strong developer community and may produce
something useful sooner or later. H3 has a great deal of demand behind it,
and several things in this area should be implemented within a month or
two. H1 has little demand or developer interest, so if you want it then
you'd better start lobbying.

-- Tim Starling