[WikiEN-l] Picture copyrights - an interesting article

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 08:56:29 UTC 2007

On 2/3/07, Guettarda <guettarda at gmail.com> wrote:

> The article says that the rates are high, but within the normal range.  If
> that's true, could on really make a case for extortion?

I would have to see the terms of the agreement, but I would imagine
that Corbis/Getty etc. are offering forbearance [1] in addition to the
licence for the image as their consideration, in exchange for the
larger fee. That's not extortion, in fact it's quite common in
commercial negotiations.

--

(1) "Forbearance", in this context, means refraining from exercising a
right to take legal action. It often appears in the context of a debt

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com