[WikiEN-l] Freedom of Speech in WP

Luna lunasantin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 01:53:22 UTC 2007

> One point which for me makes "Be civil" preferable to "Don't be a dick"
> is that it advocates something that people should be in preference to
> what they should not be.  It has a more positive outlook.

Besides that, I can't remember a *single* occassion where linking [[m:DICK]]
has ever done anything to calm a situation down. Of *course* the other
person is going to be offended, and anyone linking this in a heated dispute
is a fool to expect otherwise -- at the very least, get somebody neutral to
do the linking. When the directly involved (and most biased) parties start
giving each other dick/civility scoldings, it rarely ever calms anything
down.

If we want the level of discourse to be more civil, we must first ourselves
behave in a civil manner. Nine times out of ten, that precludes linking
[[m:DICK]] in my opinion.

-Luna