[WikiEN-l] new search engine for Wikipedia launched

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 11:27:35 UTC 2007

On 12/25/07, J.H. Huang <jinh.huang at gmail.com> wrote:
> Any comments will be appreciated.

Ok, something weird with my first experience:

1. Search for "hawthorn"
2. A mangled version of the [[Hawthorn]] disambiguation page is shown
(complete with asterisks instead of list indentation...)
3. Click on "Hawthorn Football Club" link...
4. Get taken to a new search for that term, including the
disambiguation page as the second link...

Step 4 is weird - I just clicked on my preferred disambiguation link,
why disambiguate me again?

Try again:
1. Search for "lizard"
2. Mangled disambiguation page is shown, including no links to the
actual page [[Lizard]]. Apparently you need to click on the text "Or
you can seach[sic] by keyword lizard ."

That behaviour is pretty weird: search for a term that matches an
exact article, and you get everything but that article. Wouldn't it
make more sense to show at least a snippet of that article first,
before getting into the disambiguation?

Steve