[WikiEN-l] Peodophiles and wikipedia

Ned Scott ned at nedscott.com
Tue Dec 25 18:28:12 UTC 2007

A reasonable idea, but [[User:Zanthalon]] is not a good example of
this. That user has been unfairly blocked.

We don't block editors for being pedophiles, or because we found out
they were a pedophile. We block them if they try to promote
pedophilia. This, however, does not seem to be the case with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zanthalon

Fred Bauder blocked this editor based on "activities" that did not
exist. The ironic part is that this was pointed out in the arbcom case
specifically at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration/Pedophilia_userbox_wheel_war/Evidence#Evidence_presented_by_Freakofnurture

The user did identify as being a pedophile on their userpage, as can
be seen in this Wikipedia mirror: http://users.open-encyclopedia.com/Zanthalon
This message was made before the arbcom case, and before that user had
any indication that such a comment might be inappropriate. No one ever
notified this user about this, no warning, nothing. I have no reason
to believe this user would not have removed the comment themselves if
they were aware of the situation, and would have abided by the
findings of the arbcom case. However, almost a full year after the
editor was regularly on Wikipedia, and two months since their last
edit, Fred Bauder comes in and indefinitely blocks the editor and
deletes both their talk and user talk pages, and protects them.

This is a direct violation of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration/Pedophilia_userbox_wheel_war#Wikipedia_is_open_to_all
  (see http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Non_discrimination_policy)

Very ironic given the proposed principles that Fred supported during
that case (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration/Pedophilia_userbox_wheel_war/Proposed_decision#Wikipedia_is_open_to_all
)

I'm no pedophile, and I think this guy needs help, but it's his life.
As long as he doesn't touch anyone, I don't care what he does. He was
a good editor on Wikipedia and followed all the policies he knew
about. This ban serves no point, and helps no one.

-- Ned Scott