[WikiEN-l] Peodophiles and wikipedia

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 19:50:07 UTC 2007

On 24/12/2007, Steven Walling <steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:

> Preserving the sanctity of the project demands banning self-identified
> pedophiles, as has happened many times in the past. For those who might
> protest that pedophiles have a right to voice their feelings, there are
> plenty of other online forums for them to do so. Wikipedia is not one of
> those. This is no different than Jimbo banning that little cadre of
> neo-nazis a while back.

It's really a practical decision. Whereas *in theory* allowing a
theoretical "good editor" neo-Nazi or *cough* child-love-advocate on
might enhance the quality of our articles and how well they approach
the ideal of neutral point of view, *in practice* every single such
attempt has been a ludicrous failure, to the point where the
theoretical idea's failure is serenaded by the world's smallest
violin.

- d.