[WikiEN-l] Peodophiles and wikipedia

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Mon Dec 24 18:44:30 UTC 2007

Andrew Gray wrote:
> Oh boy. Almost two years exactly since we last blew up over this
> one... is this some kind of historical re-enactment?

Yeah.

We should probably have an official policy page:

	The policy in a nutshell: pedophiles are banned from
	editing Wikipedia.

	Justification: there is no rational justification for
	this policy.  But Wikipedia is no longer small and
	elite enough that pure rationality can hold full sway.
	It might be nice if pedophiles could edit Wikipedia
	noncontentiously, and have their punishment for their
	pedophilia confined to the real world.  But, sadly, there
	are now sufficiently many people on Wikipedia who are
	willing to be blinded by emotion on this issue that it
	is simply impossible for pedophiles to edit.  Like it or
	not, they will be blocked and banished.  Even people who
	speak up for them are presumed to harbor unhealthy
	pedophilic sympathies and are gravely suspect.  (Indeed,
	the author of this policy page wonders if he'll be next.)