[WikiEN-l] Visual disambiguation pages

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Dec 24 07:32:23 UTC 2007

Steve Bennett wrote:
> Wondering if anyone had attempted a "visual disambiguation" page, for
> locating plants or animals visually. A few photos could be given for
> each level of the taxonomy, down to the lowest level. Would such a
> thing fit within the Wikipedia framework? Would it fit better at
> Wikispecies?
>
> I have a recurring problem where I take photos of plants that I can't
> identify, but really have no way to find out what they are, in order
> to add them to the relevant article. And presumably such a structure
> would be useful to other people, too.
>
> Thoughts?
Wikispecies does seem like the proper place for this, but it strikes me
as a difficult task  It requires a detailed systematic approach, which
some on Wikipedia are likely to dismiss as original research.  Verbal
keys are available and precise, but going through them is tedious.  In
many cases drawings focus on the distinctions better than photographs,
and can even be used in multiple circumstances, e.g. Are the leaves
opposite or alternate? Does the leaf have a rounded or pointed end?

It doesn't help when some of the modern approaches to taxonomy depend on
DNA analysis unless you have a properly equipped DNA lab in your
basement.  Also differential keys need not have a one-to-one
correspondence with the taxonomy.

I would suggest starting with a not-too-big genus with a published
differential key, and organizing differential illustrations for that.

Ec