[WikiEN-l] Step right up and greet the Metz

Matt Jacobs sxeptomaniac at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 00:44:31 UTC 2007

Metz has a good point regarding WP:COI, though I disagree regarding
some of his other thoughts (i.e. trying to control an article through
shouting doesn't necessarily work).

When I first read the WP:COI guideline, I thought it was a good
recommendation, and have even cited it, but the way I have sometimes
seen it used leaves a bitter taste in my mouth at times.  The worst is
those who, instead of making any attempt to help problematic newbies
understand NPOV and verifiability policies, drive them away from the
topics they are passionate about with refrains of "WP:COI".

It's easy to see the harm to the encyclopedia if someone is violating
WP:NOR, WP:NPOV, WP:V, WP:CONS, etc.  However, what harm is occurring
if someone edits with a COI that isn't covered under other policies?
WP:COI should be purely cautionary; I see no reason it should ever be
enforced.

Matt Jacobs
Sxeptomaniac