[WikiEN-l] Actual data on spoiler warning uses by the public

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 20:50:17 UTC 2007

On 16/12/2007, Peter Ansell <ansell.peter at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/12/2007, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> > In addition, {{spoiler}} is dead as a dead thing. We have
> > {{currentfiction}}, which does a slightly better job of the same
> > thing.

> Apparently it isn't, given the discussion so far in this thread. Its
> militant opponents may insist that there is no support for spoilers
> but results tend to speak for themselves.

Such as [[Template:Spoiler]] being deleted and [[Template:Current
fiction]] looking like it's headed that way (I opined "neutral to
mostly harmless" on that one - it was IMO relevant during the Harry
Potter 7 release cycle, when you could reasonably expect there would
be lots of fans very interested in the book who hadn't yet read it).

In addition, despite the repeated complaints about the deletion of the
spoilers, shopping the issue to every possible venue in Wikipedia has
consistently resulted in responses ranging from apathy to "go away." I
suggest it's possible that the lack of action to save the spoilers is
not so much the result of an oppressive conspiracy as that the actual
community opinion is on the slightly negative side of "nobody cares."
(And no, the same people bringing it up over and over on wikien-l
doesn't IMO constitute the community or substantial portions of it
caring.)

- d.