[WikiEN-l] Former Wikimedia employee was a felon.

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu
Sat Dec 15 15:09:15 UTC 2007

Second, and more directed at you

Quoting Christiano Moreschi <moreschiwikiman at hotmail.co.uk>:

> That's as may be - though I will point out that Carolyn Doran would
> not even have stood up to a Google search, let alone a criminal
> records check - the whole-shooting-the-boyfriend thing wound up in
> the Washington Post. Seems like it took the wikinewsies approximately
> 5 minutes to find the archived stories. From there, again, it seems
> as though plenty of US states keep online free jail records, easily
> accessible, and certainly plenty do keep records of current inmates
> of the state prisons, again accessible online and for free (including
> Florida, which have a very dandy "Find an inmate" search button)!
> Remarkable!
>
> The one thing I don't understand is this. Jimbo says he had no
> knowledge of this whole Carolyn Doran business until it hit The
> Register. That's fine, I guess we have to believe that. Did no one
> bother to tell him? Evidently not. I refuse to believe that no one at
> WMF knew anything until The Register made their phone call/published
> the story. What I am asking is who knew what when. The whole reaction
> to this has been one of confusion - this was always going to hit the
> press anyway, so surely a more coordinated response could have been
> planned?

Two points: first, not everyone bothers googling the names of people
they know.
Furthermore, there appear to be multiple people by the name of Carolyn Doran
who have an internet presence, so even a quick google search wouldn't make it
completely obvious unless you had some idea what you were looking for. Second,
and more directed at you, you still haven't clarified whether you knew about
this beforehand which you seemed to claim on Jimbo's talk page. Did you know
about this?