[WikiEN-l] What Knol may actually be: enterprise wiki substitute

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 12:17:09 UTC 2007

On 15/12/2007, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 14, 2007 4:03 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > (I'm a *tremendous* fan of office wikis. Best idea ever IMO.)
>
> I love them, but I also find it nigh-on impossible to fight the
> corporate need to CONTROL them in useless ways.  They tend to want
> complicated permissions structures and stuff like that which end up
> ruining the wiki idea under a pile of red tape.

The general response seems to be:

a) use ingenuity; deflect them into controlling trivial stuff

b) fait accompli; get it up and running on a small scale without any
of that, and use inertia to roll it out elsewhere unchanged

[The cynics make like to read this as "don't tell them, and when you must, fib"]

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk