[WikiEN-l] Former Wikimedia employee was a felon.

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 04:22:50 UTC 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 8:01 PM,  <joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu> wrote:
> Quoting George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com>:
>
> > Keep in mind that there are verifyably hundreds of Carolyn Doran's in
> > the US.  It's entirely possible she's not the same person who
> > committed those other crimes.  I don't know how good Cade Metz' fact
> > checking is on that point; it needs to be verified, but I wouldn't
> > assume it to be true.
>
> If it isn't true the Foundation and Doran should sue The Register for
> libel. If
> this is wrong it might even constitute sufficiently reckless behavior to be
> actionable in the United States, and certainly would be libel in Great Britain
> where the Register is. However, I doubt even the Register would be this
> sloppy.
> I'd be willing to bet about 8 to 1 that this is the same Carolyn Doran.

Based on who appears to be feeding information to Metz, he has sources
that have falsified information before both for press and community
attacks on Wikipedia before.

This is not an indication that the particular information is wrong.
But one should be wary, and fact check.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com