[WikiEN-l] WR's secret forum and list

Josh Gordon user.jpgordon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 16:21:11 UTC 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 3:56 AM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:

> No, I was asking why people who were trying to develop the Wikipedia
> Anti-Harassment and Anti-Stalking program were doing so off-site.  Hardly
> any of the victims were at the tea party; it was by invitation only, and
> if
> you didn't get the invite you didn't know the party was happening.

Because the cowardly little creeps  who stalk  and harass take pride in the
discomfort of their victims. That seems to be the whole point of their
behavior. "Oh look, I made XXX so upset she told on me!" This is compounded
by the adolescent  mentality that says things like "If you can't stand the
heat stay out of the kitchen", "Your skin is too thin", and "you're a
lightning rod for troublemakers, you should leave". Such discussions are of
necessity done in private; the privacy was intended to create a safer place
to air such issues.

A natural part of the stalking discussion related to sockpuppets. One
particularly pernicious stalker -- one who has been jailed in meatspace for
his actions -- has used well over a hundred sockpuppets (and that's just
counting the ones we bother tagging with {{sockpuppet}}; I'm of the opinion
that we should [[WP:DENY]] even that, but it's something of a bookkeeping
issue.) . It's a favored form of attack. So the discussion dealt with how to
recognize sockpuppets from the start. That's the context in which Durova's
"sleuthing" arose; but the infamous email was (at least in my eyes) just a
"by the way, this is how I do it", and since many -- most? -- of the
participants in the discussion were already pretty familiar with
sockpuppet-identification techniques, nobody so much as responded to the
email.

I was disappointed when Durova gave up her sysop bit; ArbCom certainly
wasn't going to remove it for a single faulty (and quickly reversed) block.

The walls of this tiny teapot have been expanded far more than is reasonable
by an essentially pointless tempest.

--
--jpgordon ∇∆∇∆