[WikiEN-l] WR's secret forum and list

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 23:00:22 UTC 2007

> And we are unfortunate in another respect: due to a misunderstanding of
> what has happened here, we may see a decline in admins having private
> conversations with friends to "sanity check" things, and we may see a
> decline in thoughtfully coordinated on-wiki actions.  And that's a shame.

Indeed. A lot of people seem to thing the options are "discuss in
private" and "discuss in public", and given those options, public
discussion is preferred. However, the issue arises in cases where
public discussion isn't an option at all for whatever reason, so the
actual options are "discuss in private" and "don't discuss at all and
act unilaterally". Given those options, private discussions are
obviously a good thing.