[WikiEN-l] User honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico

Guettarda guettarda at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 22:40:12 UTC 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 4:30 PM, <joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu> wrote:

> Quoting Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
>
> > it's just bad luck
> > that it happened to be about non-English speaking country showing an
> > interest in the English Wikipedia.
>
> Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States, not a "non-English
> speaking
> country". While Spanish is the common language a large fraction of the
> population speaks English as well. I suspect that this thread hasn't
> gotten
> much attention because there isn't any need for attention. People don't
> have a
> perception that the encyclopedia is somehow under threat and that if their
> version of policy isn't accepted then all will fall to the hordes of
> vandals.

Don't say that too forcefully, there are people who would be upset with the
assertion that PR isn't a country (it is a member of the IOC and
FIFA)...it's just not an independent country.

Tony's contribution is the perfect example of what you can do if you avoid
the politics and bureaucracy.  There's also the added bonus of him being a
really nice guy.

It's also great to see politicians get it right for a change.