[WikiEN-l] Durova/!! matter now in newspaper.

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 4 18:04:57 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:
> On 04/12/2007, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Funny how in 2002 I identified mailing lists and cabals as significant
>> potential problems.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:The_Cunctator/How_to_build_Wikipedia
>
> Yabbut, how do you stop it happening? I don't see a way to. How do you
> deal with the problems of mailing lists and cabals when you can't stop
> either from forming?

A suggestion I've been pondering is to expand [[Wikipedia:Mailing
lists]] to list _all_ mailing lists where Wikipedia is the topic,
annotated and subsectioned to keep the "unofficial" stuff properly
segregated of course. The mailing lists don't have to be public or open,
IMO merely listing their existence and subject matter would be very
useful for keeping paranoia levels down.

And it would change the "it's not secret, it's just private" defense
from a semantic quibble into a verifiable fact; if at the beginning of
all this we could have pointed to a revision of [[Wikipedia:Mailing
lists]] from 2006 (or whenever) where wpinvestigations and cyberstalking
got added that'd probably have calmed things down a bit. I know I would
probably have been somewhat reassured.