[WikiEN-l] Durova/!! matter now in newspaper.

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 11:22:18 UTC 2007

On 04/12/2007, Alec Conroy <alecmconroy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've always been a little bit worried in the back of my mind that
> Wikipedia is hierarchical, rather than totally open.

I urge you to read 'The Tyranny of Structurelessness', which I find
myself recommending here every few months:

  http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/hist_texts/structurelessness.html

Precis: Human form hierarchies naturally. If you try to suppress
hierarchies from public view, they'll form out of your sight and come
back to bite you in the arse.

(The paper posits votes on everything as a solution, though I've yet
to see a voting procedure on Wikipedia other than the Board secret
ballot that didn't turn into a lynch mob or a demonstration of "one
idiot, one vote." And the Board secret ballot is getting some close
questioning.)

- d.