[WikiEN-l] Balance of sanction [Was: Arbiter involvement on the Durova affair]

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Dec 1 17:16:37 UTC 2007

On Dec 1, 2007 12:02 PM, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:
> Furthermore, I find it disingenuous that a DMCA notice (which may or may not
> have been sent by Durova, because nobody's willing to say anything) is not
> considered to be a legal threat that violates the No Legal Threats policy.

"A polite, coherent complaint in cases of copyright infringement or
attacks is not a "legal threat"."  [[Wikipedia:No legal threats]]

I don't agree with the policy against legal threats, so maybe I should
support these strawman arguments against it, but it seems to me it is
about making legal threats *on Wikipedia*, and wouldn't be applicable
to a DMCA takedown notice, especially not one which is not disputed by
the Foundation.  The policy also states that you should not edit
Wikipedia during a legal dispute "until the legal matter has been
resolved", but any legal matter in this case was resolved when the
email was removed.