[WikiEN-l] Michael Moore's website attacking WP editor

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 12:32:47 UTC 2007

On 27/08/07, John Lee <johnleemk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/24/07, crock spot <crockspot at gmail.com> wrote:

> > A clear violation of [[WP:NPA#External links]]. Just asking nicely is
> > likely
> > to fail. That link should be removed from wikipedia until the attack is
> > removed from the website.

> So, we should not link the official website of a notable person, just
> because that notable person said some not-nice things about an editor?
> People like Jayjg were saying "Oh, this wouldn't happen - this is clearly
> not covered by the policy, all you need to do is use some common sense."
> Common sense is apparently not so common.
> (Oh, yes, and should we remove all citations to michaelmoore.com pages in
> our articles because it is now apparently an "attack site"?)>
> When there is a trade-off between protecting one of us, and the quality of
> our encyclopaedia, which ought to come first? I suspect this disagreement is
> really intractable because it is a question of values. It is impossible to
> objectively answer this question.

The other problem is that admins on Wikipedia are powerful figures on
an important top-10 website that's regarded as a public resource -
and, as such, are somewhat public figures and hence a legitimate
subject of critical comment. And this is not to justify insane
stalkers, but that's not what I'm talking about. Deciding anyone
criticising on such an assumption should be treated as an insane
stalker is ... probably not workable.

- d.