[WikiEN-l] Making damn sure image attribution is very clear

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 09:24:02 UTC 2007

> Any ideas on how to handle this for captionless images and for really
> small images?

Possibly just change the alt (and title) attribute for the image? Have
the standard alt (ie. the image page title) or the user-supplied one
(if any) and concatenate a notice on the end.

> I've added another proposed look to your page:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Thebainer/thumbtest
>
> The thought behind my proposal is that the universal copyright symbol
> is more likely to express the importance of the information behind the
> link. The hand icon signifies something that you can click on.

I don't know if the copyright symbol conveys the correct message. To
me, the symbol displayed next to some work typically conveys that
there are (most if not all) rights reserved in relation to that work.

> I've overlapped the image slightly, which may cause some problems in
> IE... but if we actually wanted something like that style both
> possible sources of problems (broken z-index handling and PNG
> transparency) can be worked around.

Well, my tests are just hacks really. If we actually implemented
something like this, it ought to be done in the software and
configurable through a MediaWiki message.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com