[WikiEN-l] Making damn sure image attribution is very clear

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 22:41:31 UTC 2007

> On 8/24/07, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I agree.  It doesn't actually have to be in the caption; in a tiny
> > font immediately under the image is fine.
>
> Author asks to be credited with a link. You see the problem yes?

Yep.

> > If we're uncomfortable with
> > the author name, we should at least put something like 'click to see
> > copyright information' there.
>
> That is a software issue.

No, it's a community issue. Unlike trying to guess the author name
such a proposal has no substantial technical limitations.

Get the community to approve the operation. Resolve how it should work
for tiny images... this would be a trivial change, we could have it
right away.

> > I also think we should improve our handling of image metadata in
> > thumbnails.  At the very least we should retain copyright information
> > embedded in the original.
> How do you tell what in the original is copyright information?

We should retain all the EXIF that doesn't bloat the file (means drop
the binary fields, the exif thumbnail, and any ICC profiles). This has
been long discussed and a bug is opened for this.

Going further and adding data from the image page into the exif would
be even better... but thats quite a bit harder.