[WikiEN-l] Our content gets *everywhere*

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 15:34:44 UTC 2007

On 17/08/07, John Lee <johnleemk at gmail.com> wrote:

> OMG COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
>
> :p
>
> Remarkably, it seems that Wikipedia was already being used so extensively by
> 2004. Back then, we were big, but...I didn't really expect the first example
> of lorem ipsum to date back so early.

It's not from 2004, I'm afraid - it's a little odd that the *text* is,
though. (That sentence was subtly modified in 2004, getting a
semicolon and a rephrase after "metaphor", so we can date the variant
used) The device was released in 2005, and the box is showing a
version running "OS 2006" (which included the IM functionality); this
dates the packaging to May 2006 or later.

Google finds a few copies of the 2004 text here and there; presumably
it got out in a database dump. I can only assume they reused it from
there...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk