[WikiEN-l] Ugly RFA developing

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Tue Aug 14 21:42:38 UTC 2007

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, George Herbert wrote:
> > The BLP article says that unsourced contentious material about living people
> > should be removed from articles, talk pages, user pages, and project space.
> > A RFA is, I believe, in project space.  Most Google searches don't produce
> > sources that count as reliable sources by Wikipedia standards.  So it's
> > unsourced contentious material and needs to be removed under BLP.
>
> I think that it's a novel interpretation to extend that from
> "biographical article subjects" to "Wikipedia contributors".

The BLP policy says that it extends to both biographies of living persons and
"biographical material about living persons in other articles."  All Wikipedia
contributors are living people.

> Wikipedia is not a reliable source (specifically disclaimed); your
> logic, taken to its conclusion, would suggest that we cannot use
> negative incidents in our own edit histories as discussion fodder for
> RFAs.

You're right; the BLP policy should be changed to allow such things.  There's
no need to have a policy which is supposed to be violated dozens of times
a day.