[WikiEN-l] Checkuser for fun, for profit, for mild curiosity, for sharing, for whatever

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 22:40:45 UTC 2007

On 8/13/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> > > I don't even know what this means
> >

> > I'm addressing this to the complainants :-)
> >
> > There's clearly an expectations failure - there's something users
> > expect which the privacy policy or other checkuser policies don't
> > account for.
> >
> > It would be good to allow for expectations without abandoning the tool
> > (which just isn't going to happen).
> >
> > So I'm asking what those expectations are, with as much detail as
> > possible. Then we can work on something which doesn't piss people off.
> >
> One thing I expect is to know when checkuser is run against me.  I
> expect to know about this before it happens, and I expect a chance to
> argue against it happening.

You may say that you expect it, but by visiting any page on Wikimedia site,
you are agreeing to the privacy policy
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Privacy_policy and also the resolutions
of the Wikimedia Board of Trustees and its relevant policies.  The CheckUser
policy explicitly states that "Notification to the account that is checked
is permitted but is not mandatory."

But, even if this were fixed I still doubt I'd feel comfortable with
> the system.  I think I'd have to vote for abandoning the tool
> completely.

That in itself is, maybe unfortunately, probably not going to happen.

  It shouldn't matter whether or not a user is a sockpuppet
> of another user.  Either their argument has merit or it doesn't.
> Either they're breaking policy or they aren't.

This may be one of the most understandable things you've ever said, but this
isn't the place to bring it up.  There is an official policy against
sockpuppetry, and that won't be broken here.

If you really need to
> stop sockpuppetry, then what you need is for the user to verify
> his/her identity, not to check IP addresses.

Wtf?  You are upset becasue we are checking your *IP address* and instead
you wish for us to find out your exact identity?!

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---