[WikiEN-l] More Jimbo quotes on Tor

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Aug 12 11:45:26 UTC 2007

On 8/11/07, NavouWiki <navouwiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm failing to see why "Jimbo quotes" carry more weight than anyone else's.

They shouldn't.

> I'm also failing to see why we need to allow editors to override a TOR /
> Anon proxy block.  I think the latter point has been established already.

Some editors are *already* allowed to override a TOR/Anon proxy block
- sysops.  Do you not see why we "need" that as well?

We don't absolutely *need* it, as we don't absolutely *need* anything.
 But I think it's a good idea.  And regardless of whether or not
enwiki should implement it, it certainly should be implemented in
Mediawiki.

Here's another "Jimbo quote" to ponder - one from 2001 which Jimbo has
said "that at some ultimate, fundamental level, this is how Wikipedia
will be run".

community against real vandals (and there are real vandals, who are
already starting to affect us), should be implemented on the model of
"strict scrutiny".

"Strict scrutiny" means that any measures instituted for security must
address a compelling community interest, and must be narrowly tailored
to achieve that objective and no other.</blockquote>

I agree completely with this principle, and it is precisely that
principle of narrowly tailoring security measures to achieve their
objective which is why I think this feature needs to be implemented.
Wow, put that way I even used the word "needs", I must be convincing
myself....