[WikiEN-l] Clarification about prevailing AFD closing practices

Leif Knutsen vyerllc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 13:42:05 UTC 2007

I think there are two opposing extremes here.

On the one hand, if it were a clear majority vote, then Todd is right
- a bot would suffice to close it, precisely 120 hours after it
opened.

On the other hand, the preponderance of the views have to count for
something, if the term "consensus" is to have any meaning. Otherwise,
it would suffice to bring a nomination to an admin board, where the
first avaialble admin could decide.

POV forks and AFDs are often employed as "weapons" on controversial
topics. Some POV forks become useful articles in spite or possibly
even because of their intent. Others that survive an AFD probably
collapse under their own weight after some time. (DRV's are often
reruns of the NDA, in my experience).

It seems to me that admins who wade into edit wars by closing an AFD
one way or the other, need clear guidelines to protect their actions
and make decisions more straightforward.

--
Leif Knutsen
(also responds to vyerllc at gmail.com and leif at vyer.net)