[WikiEN-l] Are there really articles on Wikipedia that need fixing, or just gossip that needs hashed?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Aug 6 20:13:22 UTC 2007

On 8/6/07, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:

> > > Yeah, and gay people aren't banned from marrying, either.  They can marry
> > > th opposite sex just like straight people can.  It's their choice to only
> > > pick marriages that are not allowed; there are plenty of other marriages
> > > which are allowed to them.
> > >
> > True, but how is that relevant?
>
> Because it's an *analogy*.

So, all analogies are relevant?

> We recognize that the argument about gays is completely bogus.

We do?  The argument you gave seemed legitimate to me.

> We know very
> well that "sure, you can marry, you just can't marry anyone you'd want to
> marry" is equivalent to "you can't marry at all".

Well, no, it's not equivalent.  Similar in effect, perhaps, but not equivalent.

> Likewise, saying "you aren't banned, you're just banned from the only method
> you want to use" is equivalent to "you are banned".

OK, so getting back to this analogy thing, if I tell someone who wants
to vandalize Wikipedia that they aren't banned, they're just banned
from vandalism, that's equivalent to telling them that they are
banned?

Hmm, I guess it kind of is, when you think about it...