[WikiEN-l] The Second Rape: Victim-Blaming (was Re: Self-sensorship, how far should it go?)

Armed Blowfish diodontida.armata at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 5 16:58:19 UTC 2007

On 05/08/07, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:

> they
> >>
> >> on 8/2/07 10:23 PM, Armed Blowfish at diodontida.armata at googlemail.com

> On 03/08/07, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >> First, AB, I've never communicated with a blowfish before (at least not
> that
> >> I would admit publicly ;-) - and, certainly, not one that was armed!. :-)
>
> >> I have read both of our posts here several times, and am having a hard
> time
> >> seeing where we disagree.
> >>
> >> The only reaction the people we are talking about do not thrive on is
> >> silence. Beyond that, the type of reaction they need to thrive can be
> >> different with each individual.
>
> on 8/4/07 7:49 PM, Armed Blowfish at diodontida.armata at googlemail.com wrote:
>
> > I disagree... silence can allow very dangerous people to go about
> > hurting people without interference.  If someone is in danger, we can
> > help protect that person by making sure that they are not alone.
>
> Excellent point, AB. I was thinking in terms of 1-1 dialogue. But, you are
> right, in the larger scale of a public forum, the hatemongers must be met
> head on, and with a group voice that is loud and clear. Victims do feel very
> much alone; we, by our voice and our embrace, can assure them they are not.

I'm glad we agree.  : )

One thing though... it doesn't really matter so much if they are
'hatemongers' or if something else is going through their head.
(Well, it matters some, but no matter what is going through their
head, they are still hurting people.)  The point is we need to protect
the people who are getting seriously hurt, by protecting them the best
we know how.

> > A quote from the Night Stalker episode 'The Sea', just because I think
> > it's worded well:
> > 'Life travels a crooked path, a course whose shape we cannot recognise
> > except by looking back on it. How happiness leads to heartbreak, how a
> > dark turn leads to peace and joy. Our purpose, like our destination,
> > is hidden, but goodness is a refuge ­ a soft, warm light into which
> > evil cannot see.'
> >
> Thank you for this.
>
> Marc

I've found Kolchak: The Night Stalker to be a very therapeutic series.  : )

Anyway, I am glad we've come to agreement on this.

Armed Blowfish