[WikiEN-l] Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Aug 4 14:16:46 UTC 2007

On 8/4/07, Raphael Wegmann <raphael at psi.co.at> wrote:
> Jimmy Wales schrieb:
> >
> > I fully support the right of the Wikipedia community to protect itself
> > from those kinds of lunatics by giving support to those who need to
> > maintain their privacy.
> >
> > Have edits been oversighted to protect people's identity? Damn straight
> > they have.
> >

> What I fail to see: How does deleting SVs contribution history
> help her in maintaining her privacy?
> It seems to me, that such action rather fuels the suspicion/conspiracy
> brought up by /.

He already answered this:

"Yes, information has been oversighted to protect the personal identities
of many people, both Wikipedia editors and members of the general
public.  The reasons include inadvertantly revealing personal
information as well as the deliberate posting by trolls of personal
information."