[WikiEN-l] Self-censorship, how far should it go?

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 23:17:42 UTC 2007

> On 29/07/07, Sheldon Rampton <sheldon at prwatch.org> wrote:
>
> > Rather than discuss the merits of this particular "outing," I think
> > it would be more productive to discuss ways of encouraging people to
> > edit under their own names rather than anonymously.
>

> I started editing under my name rather than a net nickname because it
> felt like I was working on a serious project. I notice a few editors
> have switched from using nicknames to using their real names. That is,
> there's a force we could harness towards this.

I used to have my real name up on my userpage, but after the second
failed attempt to out me, I decided it wasn't worth the risk of
collateral damage.  There are a lot of "Mark Wagner"s out there, and
almost none of them are me.  That's a lot of potential for false
identification and harassment of random people.

--
Mark
[[User:Carnildo]]