[WikiEN-l] Looking up death dates in government death records: original research?

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 05:03:33 UTC 2007

In [[Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Nadia Morris Osipovich]], some
users are arguing that BIographies of Living Persons issues do not
apply since they have looked her up in the US' Social Security Death
Index and found that she died in 1992.

I have a few concerns about this:

1) Finding that she died in 1992 involved discovering a 'Nadia M.
Osipovich' of the correct approximate age died in Oregon in 1992.
Oregon is the recorded state of residence of this person in the 1940s.
 Is it enough to simply match name, approximate age, and state of
residence in death records to prove someone is dead for BLP concerns?

2) Are such lookups in SSDI legitimate sourcing for articles, or are
they original research?  I incline towards the latter, since there is
a leap between getting a name and making the decision that it is the
same person that feels like more of one than we should be making
without support from a source.

-Matt