[WikiEN-l] Unsourced biographies

Phil Sandifer Snowspinner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 12:37:55 UTC 2007

A similar proposal to this was floated earlier - it's still a very
damaging idea.

Consider [[Category:Senegalese politicians]]. All very notable,
important sorts of people. About half of the articles are unsourced,
generally stubs.

Now, yes, we obviously can find sources for articles on all the prime
ministers of Senegal. That's not the issue. The issue is that there
are very few editors working in this area - often not enough to
handle a wave of PRODs on their articles. It's an area of high
importance to the project and low participation. To add a rule that
allows for deletion in this area makes it far too easy to overwhelm
these vital areas with deletions and gut our coverage with no
attention to whether or not the articles are actually erroneous.

BLPs and sourcing are a problem, but they need a far more subtle
solution than this.

Best,
Phil Sandifer
sandifer at english.ufl.edu

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a
boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.