[WikiEN-l] Unsourced biographies

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 21:52:31 UTC 2007

On 4/26/07, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:
> > I started a discussion at [[WT:BLP]] on the proposal that we implement
> > a variant of proposed deletion as follows:
> >
> >       It is proposed that this article be deleted as a biography of
> >       a living individual which does not cite its references or
> >       sources.
>
> Based on what I saw when going through some of that
> {{unreferenced}}-containing BLP list, the rate of false positives could
> be in the range of 90% or so. Having deletion be the default result of
> such a tag could result in losing a lot of useful stuff.

My survey of BLPs is only half-completed so far, but from what I've found:

*One article in seven is a biography of a living person, for
approximately a quarter-million of them.
*90% of these articles have neither footnotes nor references.
*About half have only links to official or fan websites.
*25% have nothing that could be considered a source under even the
most generous definition.

--
Mark
[[User:Carnildo]]