[WikiEN-l] Admin buddies (was Re: You Really Don't Get It)

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 25 14:31:52 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:
> I don't have a problem with the idea of "admin buddies"; although in some
> cases it may be the blind leading the blind, or the deaf leading the blind
> (each having their own set of challenges). But I see only subtle differences
> between this and the "mentoring" process proposed before.

Mentoring is potentially a high-commitment activity for the mentor.
Buddying has far fewer expectations. Think of buddy diving; you're still
enjoying your own dive, but your buddy is aware of you and vice versa.
> But the real point of my post is: when and how does a proposal - become
> practice - become policy?

Well, I just created [[Wikipedia:Admin buddies]], we'll see how many
people like the idea. I don't think it needs to become policy, since the
arrangement is fundamentally voluntary. If it's popular, I expect it
will be suggested to admins. But even if only a dozen people pair up,
we're still better off than we were before.

Stan