[WikiEN-l] "Wicked-pedia" in today's Daily Mail

Martin Peeks martinp23 at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 23 17:33:58 UTC 2007

Ahh - someone mentioned that he'd seen that Wikipedia was rubbish in "the
paper".  Didn't realise it was the Daily Mail, or I wouldn't have bothered
arguing Wikipedia's side...

On a more serious note - it would help if something were to be done to tell
those reporting just why Wikipedia articles can be vandalised, and what we
do to repair it.  For what I've heard of the newspaper article (I haven't
read it yet), they followed the usual process of looking through revisions
(or introducing deliberate vandalism) and reporting these instances as
examples of Wikipedia being evil, only their to poolute our childrens'
minds, must be banned (you see where I'm going with this..).  Hopefully
when/if stable revisions arrive, a lot of the complaints will slow down.  As
Wikipedia grows, and gets more press attention, its faults are pointed out
more and more often, so we need to do all we can to nullify these concerns,
and crucially let the media know how a we are taking care of the issues.

Martin