[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales should reconsider

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 22 18:17:37 UTC 2007

Jeff Raymond wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:
>> On 22/04/07, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Personally, I think that once stable versions are finally implemented
>>> many of the major deletionism issues that have been going on for years
>>> will fade away. That's the change I'd really like to see, it'll make
>>> Wikipedia safer for work-in-progress again.
>> HELL YES.
>
> Man, that's going to be a showdown of epic proportions.  I'll again idly
> note that there's some significant opposition to the idea of article
> stability, and nothing appears to be happening to address that.

I'm hoping that stable versions won't increase _article_ stability, and
in fact I think it'll actually make articles easier to change.

As an example, I've been involved in a bit of a dispute over at
[[Transhumanism]] where an editor who's done a lot of work on the
article has now declared it to be "finished", and has been rather
aggressive in reverting further changes because he believes new
additions that aren't up to the same standards as existing material
reduce the overall quality of the article. With stable version flagging,
we could mark the version that got FA status and then people could work
freely on the article without fear of disruption until a new and
improved FA-quality version ensued.