[WikiEN-l] Analysis of BLP issues (Jimmy Wales shouldreconsider)

Jeff Raymond jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com
Sun Apr 22 15:19:55 UTC 2007

James Farrar wrote:

>> That would be another way to go. Unless there is a published biography
>> on the individual, our default is deletion. Again there will be
>> exceptions - but we could let afd sort that out. We just change the
>> default - you need a consensus for inclusion if there is no other
>> biography in publication.
>
> That seems like a sensible criterion - and there might be potential to
> extend that to classes of articles other than BLP.

I've always seen this as a rather horrid criterion.  So what does this
mean?  Most sportsmen, most television stars, most musicians, many
politicians - gone.  And let's not even get started at the systematic
bias issues inherent in this, especially in third world countries or
nations with government-controlled media where the "biographies" we
require simply wouldn't exist for reasons outside of our happy Western
control.

-Jeff

--
Name: Jeff Raymond
E-mail: jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com
WWW: http://www.internationalhouseofbacon.com
IM: badlydrawnjeff
Quote: "I was always a fan of Lisa Loeb, particularly
	because you kind of get the impression she
	sang every song either about or to her cats.
	They seem to be the driving force in most of
	her creative process."     - Chuck Klosterman