[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales should reconsider

MacGyverMagic/Mgm macgyvermagic at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 13:53:12 UTC 2007

On 4/21/07, doc <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I consider our current attitude to the biographies of living persons to
> be positively immoral. We know people are being adversely affected,
> libeled and harassed. We know people are having to check their articles
> daily because of the danger of malicious attacks. And yet we hide behind
> the belief that we are legally untouchable and we refuse to take any
> real steps to reduce the harm, on the basis that 'it isn't how we do
> things', it might upset our users, or it might inadvertently take out a
> precious article on a webcomic as collateral. Well, the collateral to
> real people, in the real world, is now unacceptable.
>
> We greedily insist on retaining as many articles as we can when we
> evidently cannot properly monitor them. That is immoral. We should not
> be hosting articles on people that we cannot reasonably service.

In other words we should find some way to monitor those articles properly.
It doesn't happen now, but that doesn't we can't do it. We've set up more
complex systems.
If articles aren't being monitored now, deleting a bunch isn't going improve
the situation, it wouldn't actually make people monitor articles.

Mgm