[WikiEN-l] J-Pop and the art of fair use abuse

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 18:00:52 UTC 2007

On 21/04/07, Charlotte Webb <charlottethewebb at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm completely stunned by this thread:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/Incidents&oldid=124583952#84.211.71.5
> Looking at the whole situation I'm not too concerned about Martinp23's
> block, which would have been reasonable if the information leading to it had
> been true (but it wasn't). The anonymous User:84.211.71.5 was not running a
> bot and was not removing legitimately "fair use" images either. The images
> he was removing failed the first fair use criterion "no free image could
> serve the same purpose" and thus were copyvios, mostly pictures of Japanese
> pop musicians.

I doubt "and thus were copyvios", but certainly not within policy.

> That we have users who are clueless or apathetic about copyright is not a
> nothing new, I realize, but it concerns me how many of them are
> administrators.

There are plenty who aren't.

I'm a big fan of fair use and will staunchly defend it as appropriate.
Which seems to mean I spend far too much time cleaning up blatant
abuse of it as a bad excuse ...

> I've been advised to stop commenting at WP:AN/I lest I be labeled a troll,
> but I would like some idea of how to address a community that handles image
> policy issues like this so poorly.
> And what can be done about this fork of Template:Promophoto?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:HelloProject-Photo
> If you read the fine print you'll see it implies that WP:NFCC#1 is being
> waived for J-Pop, which can't possibly be true... I think.

I've edited the template accordingly.

- d.