[WikiEN-l] You really don't get it

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 21 06:01:25 UTC 2007

Daniel R. Tobias wrote:
> On 20 Apr 2007 at 20:42:24 -0600, Bryan Derksen
> <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> {{fact}}. Put together a listing of these biographies, publicize it, and
>> if they really are so egregiously libelous I expect editors would start
>> swarming all over them like rabid deletionist weasels.
>
> I've been keeping a list of the various squabbles, skirmishes,
> kerfluffles, etc., that have occurred when Wikipedia articles and
> their subjects were at cross purposes for some reason.  They exhibit
> various degrees of reasonability and unreasonability both on the part
> of what was published on Wikipedia and what reaction the subject had
> to it.
>
> http://dan.tobias.name/controversies/cyber/wiki.html

That's a nice little collection there. It's pushing midnight so I can't
do an exhaustive examination but the random ones I've sampled so far
look like they've come to what I'd call good conclusions - most of them
simply resulting in heavily referenced and cleaned-up articles, but
including at least one so far where the subject of a biography said "I'm
non-notable, delete me!" and the resulting AfD concluded "he's right you
know." So it does happen sometimes. :)