[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales should reconsider

doc doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 21 00:39:23 UTC 2007

George Herbert wrote:>
> Any open source project, content or code or whatever, is subject to or
> at risk of attacks.  This is a fact of life.

Ah, so tough on the people who are being adversely affected, libeled and
attacked? We tell them that it is a risk we (sorry, they?) have to run.
A fact of life 9for them)?

> After all the intensive efforts to set and maintain and enforce BLP
> policies, no outsider can reasonably claim we aren't trying.

Sorry, but that's crap. Our 'solutions' are utterly unrealistic.

> No insider is going to claim we're succeeding perfectly, either.
>
> We can't be perfect.  To attain our project's goals, we have to
> balance technology, people's time, and policies.  Lacking "approved
> version" code, we're doing a pretty good approximation of optimally
> given what our project stands for and the resource constraints.

Do we also have to balance the harm done to bystanders? Or does
collateral damage not feature in the accounting analysis?

Doc